Patricia Hammond is spearheading a revival of songs from 1870-1950, using her classical vocal training and encyclopedic knowledge of historic performance to reach audiences of all ages with her passion.
Growing up in a house that contained thousands of 78-RPM records, Patricia collected and played old sheet music from the age of nine. Classically trained in British Columbia and Switzerland, she moved to the UK in 2001 and has appeared as a soloist in Europe and North America, singing in Vancouver’s Orpheum Theatre, Geneva’s Victoria Hall, the Bruges Concertgebeouw and London’s Queen Elizabeth and Royal Festival Halls under Ivan Fischer and Sir Simon Rattle with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. In opera, Patricia has appeared at the Wexford Festival, Covent Garden’s Linbury Theatre and the Herodus Atticus Theatre in Athens.
Increasingly, work with her beloved songs has led her to perform with orchestras of a different nature: she has sung with the Piccadilly Dance Orchestra, the RMS Lusitania Ragtime Orchestra, and, as “The Canadian Nightingale” with Albert Ball’s Flying Aces band, performing jazz from WWI in community halls and speakeasys. Her own Ragtime Parlour Band has played in places as diverse as Notting Hill’s 20th Century Theatre and Toronto’s “Hugh’s Room”, to widespread acclaim.
She has been featured on BBC Radio 3 and BBC 4 Television, and Radio 4’s “Midweek” with Libby Purves in April 2010. “Le Charme”, her CD of French Salon song, was Editor’s Choice in the American Record Guide in 2007, and she was the only contemporary artist included on 2010’s Sony Compilation “Down Memory Lane”, an album that also featured Matt Monro, Dame Vera Lynn, Marni Nixon and Mario Lanza.
She continues to mine her vast sheet music collection for new songs to revive and bring to an eager public. With arrangers Matt Redman and Nick Ball she has produced “Our Lovely Day” for Imperial Music and Media, a CD that showcases a loving respect for the heritage of popular song.
“Awakenings“, Patricia’s article on singing to people in hospitals, care-homes and hospices was published in the the Telegraph’s Weekend magazine and The Week in March 2010. She is a patron of the Concertina Trust, and in 2011 she was made an honorary Fellow of the University of Liverpool’s School of the Arts.
- 2013: ~ 101 venues in Abbotsford, Langley, Delta, White Rock, Surrey, Mission, Port Coquitlam, Chilliwack and Sardis for HealthArts ~ Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saisons, Orient Express ~ Swaledale Festival ~ Brooklands Museum ~ Royal Star and Garter Ballroom ~ St Mary at Hill, Monument ~ London Vintage Kitchen
- 2012: ~ Bloomsbury Ballroom ~ Gilbert Scott, St Pancras Renaissance ~ The Idler Academy, Notting Hill ~ Swaledale Festival ~ Hugh’s Room, Toronto ~ Epsom College ~ St Anne’s, Gresham Street ~ l’Eglise de Chateau d’Oex ~ Jardins de Choulex, Geneva ~ Jamboree, Limehouse ~ British Library ~ Music Chamber, Notting Hill ~ The Zetter, Clerkenwell ~ Liberal Club, Whitehall
- 2011: ~ Camden Forge ~ Experimental Cocktail Club ~ BBC Radio London ~ Ragtime Parlour at Notting Hill’s Mayfest ~ More Music at the Scoop on London’s Southbank ~ with the Lusitania Ragtime Orchestra at the Ritzy Cinema, Brixton ~ Swaledale Festival ~ RAF Coningsby ~ Experimental Cocktail Club, Soho ~ Reform Club ~ Cakewalk Cafe, Passing Clouds ~ Pewterers’ Hall ~ ArtsWay tour in BC ~ Recital tour of Jersey, Channel Islands ~ St Martin-in-the-Fields ~ Bitten By A Monkey at Lumen, London
- 2010: ~ Showstudio with Zita Syme and Millie Brown ~ Stationers’ Hall ~ Pewterers’ Hall ~ Ironmongers’ Hall ~ Armourers’ and Brasiers’ Hall ~ National Liberal Club ~ Reform Club ~ ArtsWay, British Columbia (various venues) ~ Music in Hospitals ~ Fête de la Musique de Genève ~ The Penny Readings, St. George’s Hall, Liverpool
- 2009: ~ Turf Club, Pall Mall ~ Royal Star and Garter ~ Pewterers’ Hall ~ Meadow House, Ealing ~ Sheffield Cathedral ~ Lost Chord ~ The Travellers’ Club ~ Music in Hospitals
- 2008: ~ Sunshine Coast Recital Series, British Columbia ~ DePaul Trust, Grosvenor Chapel ~ Lost Chord ~ Music in Hospitals
- 2007: ~ St. Johann recital series, Schaffhausen ~ Royal Festival Hall ~ Théâtre des Champs-Elysées ~ Lingotto Concert Hall ~ Chateau d’Oex ~ St. John’s Notting Hill ~ Hartley Wintney ~ Lost Chord ~ Private venues
- 2006: ~ The Arts Club ~ Concert Bites ~ Ashford Sacred Concert Series ~ Ian Liston’s Hiss and Boo company ~ The Arts Centre, Sechelt, British Columbia ~ Chateau d’Oex
- 2005: ~ Opera Gala, Deal Festival ~ Cheslea Schubert Festival ~ St. Anne and St. Agnes Bach Festival ~ Handel House Museum, Mayfair ~ New London Orchestra Concert Series
- 2004: ~ An evening of songs by composer Michael Brough, presented by Princess Nadejda Imeretinsky, Geneva, Switzerland; Michael Brough, piano ~ A Brahms evening with Stephen Kovacevich and friends at The Wabe ~ Bushey Festival ~ Ramster (Stately Home near Haslemere) for the ARC ~ Warwick University Recital Series ~The Reform Club, Pall Mall ~ Holy Trinity, Sloane Street ~ France Lynch Recital Society ~ Lost Chord Foundation, South Yorkshire, with harpist ~ various private venues.li>
- 2003: ~ Canada House, Trafalgar Square with Zoë Mather ~ Variety Shows with Ian Liston’s Hiss & Boo company (The Mill, Sonning Dinner Theatre) ~ Grandvillard, Switzerland ~ Various private entertainments for corporate events, and privately owned Stately Homes.
- 2002 : ~ Anglo-Suisse Foundation (Principe Leopoldo, Lugano, Switzerland) ~ Salvi Harp Foundation ~ Opera Omnibus (Stately Homes) ~ Frome Festival ~ Brighton Festival ~ The Wabe (Hampstead, at the invitation of Tom Conti) ~ St. Bride’s, Fleet Street ~ various other venues in the UK and Switzerland. Collaborations with Aileen Ribeiro (Professor, History of Dress, Courtauld Institute), Martin Starkie
- 2001 : ~ The Wabe ~ St. Bride’s Fleet Street ~ St. Anne and St. Agnes ~ Holy Trinity Sloane Street ~ various other venues in the UK and Switzerland. Collaborations with John Julius Norwich, James Grout, Lord Oaksey, Pam Ayres, Michael Brough (first performances, songs from Op.12 and 15)
Solo Concert work – Oratorio:
2013: J.S. Bach Cantata 93; Walton Facade Handel Messiah
2012: J.S. Bach Cantata 21, 172; Buxtehude Klag-Lied; Mit Fried und Freud Handel Jephtha Mozart Requiem Schütz Was hast du verwirket
2011: J.S. Bach Cantata 20, 39, 79, 93, 96, 108, 140, 181; B Minor Mass Buxtehude Missa Brevis; Haydn St. Nicholas Mass; Rossini Petite Messe Solennelle; Schütz “Vater Abraham”, SWV 477
2010: J.S. Bach Cantata 12, 92, 173, 177, 180, 249, Oster Oratorium; Handel Messiah; Clémence de Grandval Stabat Mater; Schütz SWV 307 “Was hast du verwirket”; SWV 355 “Herzlich Lieb’ hab ich Dich, O Herr”; Kleine geistliche Konzerte Vol 1-III “Ich danke dem Herrn”
2009: J.S. Bach Cantata 39, 79, 92, 124, St. John Passion; Britten Canticle II “Abraham and Isaac” Duruflé Requiem Schütz Kleine geistliche Konzerte Vol 1: VI; SWV 354 “Verleih uns Frieden”; SWV 355 “Gib unsern Fürsten”; SWV 307 “Was hast du verwirket”; Kleine geistliche Konzerte Vol 1-III “Ich danke dem Herrn” Handel Messiah; Haydn Stabat Mater, Jugendmesse in F; Purcell Verse Anthems “Rejoice in the Lord Alway”, “Sing unto the Lord a New Song”
2008: J.S. Bach Cantatas 4, 9, 78, 105, 144, 172, St. Matthew Passion; Handel Messiah; Haydn St. Nicholas Mass; Mendelssohn Elijah; Schütz Kleine geistliche Konzerte Vol 1 , V and II and “Herzlich Lieb’ hab ich Dich, O Herr” Vivaldi Gloria
2007: J.S. Bach Cantatas 13, 18, 20, 29, 78, 80, 87, 127 & 140, St. Matthew Passion, Easter Oratorio, Christmas Oratorio; Heinrich Bach Ach, daß ich Wassers gnug hätte; C.P.E. Bach Magnificat; Buxtehude Membra Jesu Nostri; Purcell Fairy Queen; Haydn Kleine Orgelmesse; Leonardo Leo Lamentazione; Mozart Solemn Vespers of the Confessor; Schütz Symphoniae Sacrae op 6 “in lectulo per Noctes” and “Invenerunt me custodes”
2006: J.S. Bach Mass in G; Solo Cantata 170, “Vergnügte Ruh”; Cantatas 33, 62, 79, 91, 110, 123, 167, 176; St. John Passion; Magnificat; Haydn Nelson Mass; Maria Theresa Mass; Schütz Kleine geistliche Konzerte Vol 1-III “Ich danke dem Herrn” for solo alto; Kleine geistliche Konzerte Vol 1-II “Bringt her dem Herren”, for solo alto; “Sei Gegrüßet, Maria” for solo alto and soprano; Hummel Missa Brevis in C; Handel Chandos Anthem no. 36 “As Longs the Hart for Flowing Streams”; Dettingen Te Deum; Brahms Alto Rhapsody, Liebeslieder Waltzer; Mozart Missa Brevis in G ; Mass in C “Krönungsmesse”; Vesprae Solenelle di Domenica; Requiem; Couperin Troisième Leçon à Deux Voix; from Leçons de Ténèbres; Matthias Weckmann Lamentation “Wie liegt die Stadt so wüste;” Telemann Solo Cantata “Weg mit Sodoms gift’gen Früchten;” Solo Cantata “Jauchzet, frohlocket, der Himmel ist offen”; Vivaldi Stabat Mater; J.C. Bach Dies Irae.
2005: Rossini “Petite” Messe Solennelle, Bach Christmas Oratorio, Cantata no. 182; Cantata 62; Cantata 131; Cantata 132; Cantata 135; Cantata No. 71; Magnificat; B minor Mass; Rutter Feel the Spirit for solo alto and chorus, Mozart Solemn Vespers of the Confessor; Telemann cantata Auf Himmelfahrt: “Du fährest mit Jauchzen empor” for alto, organ and violin; Haydn Theresienmesse; Nelsonmesse;Kleine Orgelmesse; Duruflé Requiem, Handel Messiah, Schütz Kleine geistliche Konzerte Vol 1, No. I “Eile mich, Gott zu erretten” Buxtehude Membra Jesu Nostri.
2004: Bach Cantata No. 62, Mass in G, Cantata 106 “Actus Tragicus”; Schubert Mass in A flat, Mozart Solemn Vespers of the Confessor; Requiem; Croft Te Deum; Vivaldi Gloria; Rutter Feel the Spirit; Dvorak Mass in D; Stabat Mater; Caldara “Vicino a un Rivoletto” solo cantata for alto, cello and continuo; Haydn Nelson Mass, Seven Last Words (English version, choir and soloists); Paukenmesse; Te Deum in C; Opera arias for Mezzo and choir; Schütz Herr, wie lang willst du mein so gar vergessen.
2002: Vivaldi: Gloria; Haydn: Nelson Mass; Bach: St John Passion, Cantata No. 77; Mendelssohn Lobgesang; Arias from Handel’s Silla and Rezurrezione; Messiah
2001: Bach Cantata No 39; Mozart Requiem; Handel Israel in Egypt; Pergolesi Stabat Mater; Rossini Stabat Mater.
2000: Dvorak Stabat Mater; Bach B Minor Mass; Handel Messiah.
1999: Vivaldi Stabat Mater, Bach St. Matthew Passion, Cantata No. 170 “Vergnügte Ruh”, arias from Cantatas No. 12 and 103 with Flute obbligato.
2007: Schumann Das Paradies und die Peri, Choir of the Enlightenment, (also solo in the duet of the Houris) Sir Simon Rattle cond, Royal Festival Hall, London, 7th Dec; Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Paris, 8th Dec; Lingotto Concert Hall, Turin, 10th Dec; Müvészetek Palotája, Budapest, 11th Dec.
2006: Mozart Mass in C minor, Choir of the Enlightenment, Sir Charles MacKerras cond, Prom Concert, Royal Albert Hall (September).
2005: Brahms Requiem, chorus, OAE, Royal Festival Hall, London; Kölner Philharmonie; Symphony Hall, Birmingham; Sir Simon Rattle cond. (December).
2004:Mozart Idomeneo, chorus, Berlin Philharmonic, Luzern Konsertsaal, Berliner Philharmonie; Sir Simon Rattle cond. (September)
- Storge, Handel Jephtha, Epsom College, Jonathan Rennert cond., Stephen Oliver, director, April 2012
- Alkandre, Fauré Pénélope, Theatre Royal, Wexford Festival (Ireland) Jean-Luc Tingaud cond., Renaud Doucet/André Barbe director/designer, October/Nov. 2005
- Ensemble, Britten Peter Grimes, Salzburger Grosse Festspielhaus and Berliner Philharmonie, European Voices, Berlin Philharmonic, Sir Simon Rattle cond., Sir Trevor Nunn dir., March/April 2005.
- Third Woman, Second Witch, and Alto in one-voice-per-part ensemble, Purcell Dido and Aeneas, St John’s Smith Square (London), David Roblou cond., Chris Tudor dir., English Bach Festival, July 2004. (NB Della Jones was Dido, the Sorceress and the Spirit)
- Ensemble, Mozart Idomeneo, Berlin and Lucerne, European Voices, Berlin Philharmonic, Sir Simon Rattle, cond. September 2003.
- Nymph/Shade, Gluck Telemaco, Sadler’s Wells (London) and Herodus Atticus Theatre (Athens), Nicholas Cleobury cond., Alain Germain dir., English Bach Festival, July 2003.
- Syrene/Miss Young , Handel Alceste, Linbury Theatre, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Nicholas Cleobury cond., Tom Hawkes dir., English Bach Festival, May 2002
- Nereid (solo alto), Handel Acis and Galatea, Linbury Theatre, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Nicholas Cleobury cond., Chris Tudor dir., English Bach Festival, July 2001
- Lucretia, Britten Rape of Lucretia, Scene: ‘Give him this orchid… Flowers bring to every year’ Western Front, Vancouver BC, Nov. 1999
- Carmen, various scenes from Bizet’s Carmen, Capilano College Opera Workshop (1995)
- Honorary Fellow of University of Liverpool, School of the Arts (2011)
- Associate Bachelor of Music, Voice Major (Capilano College, 1994)
- Vocal studies with Alexandra Browning and Rena Sharon at CYMC (1989)
- Grade 10 Piano, RCM, (First Class Honours,1993)
- Grade 8 Voice, ABRSM, UK (Distinction, 1997)
- Private voice studies with Arlene McIntyre (1991 – 96), Bruce Pullan (1998-2000), David Lowe,Valerie Masterson, (currently) Kari Lovaas (2000-present, Switzerland)
- Flamenco Dance studies with Rosario Ancer (1997-98)
- Acting in Opera; BYO workshop with Martin Lloyd-Evans (2002)
- Private coaching: Harold Brown, Peter Gellhorn (Art song), Edward Evanko (Acting)
Other Musical Activities
- Guest, with the Lovely Parlour Trio on BBC Radio London, Saturday Breakfast with Simon Lederman and Joanne Good, 17.12.11
- Guest on BBC Radio Berkshire, Anne Diamond Show; 08.03.10
- Guest on ManxFM, 11.03.10
- Guest on BBC Radio Gloucester, 12.03.10
- Guest on BBC Radio London, Saturday Breakfast with Simon Lederman and Joanne Good, 13.03.10
- Guest on BBC Radio Bristol with Graham Torrington, 16.03.10
- Guest on BBC Radio 4′s “You and Yours”
- Interviewed by Kirsty Lang on BBC4 TV and BBC World
- Organist and singer at St. Mellitus Church most Sundays and for funerals (2001 to present)
- “Scores for Chaps” article for Chap Magazine, June/July 2013
- “The Last Word,” The Week magazine, March 2010
- “Awakenings,” featured article in the Saturday Telegraph Magazine, 19th March 2010
- “Discography” column for Vancouver Opera Magazine (1998-99)
- “Recommendations” page in Virgin Megastore magazine, North America (1998)
- Articles in Vancouver Opera Club newsletter/magazine (1995-96)